Positions open at NIEA
Position: Legislative Director, National Indian Education Association
Position and Description:
The NIEA Legislative Director position builds support for the advancement of Native education policy by working with key stakeholder groups, coalition partners, and policy makers in the federal government. This position works closely with the Executive Director in the development of policy positions and legislative initiatives and assists in managing the office’s legislative staff. This position is responsible for NIEA’s overall advocacy efforts to move Native education forward.
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy, government relations, education, or related field preferred; Master’s degree desired but not required.
- At least 5-7 years of direct policymaking or advocacy experience, legislative background preferred.
- Knowledge and passion for furthering the mission of NIEA and a commitment to Native students and enhancing their educational opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships with a variety of stakeholders including policy makers, local advocates, tribal governments, and educators regarding various education issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication as well as interpersonal, public speaking, and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of and experience working with tribes, Native communities, and national Native and civil rights organizations.
- Proven ability to work in team environment while demonstrating capacity to solve problems independently and address concerns in a timely and accurate manner.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position offers a competitive salary, commensurate with relevant education and work experience. Application review date: Friday, November 8, 2019.
To read more about the position, please click here.