NIEA Board of Directors Election Process
The deadline to submit has passed.
The NIEA Board of Directors consists of 12 seats held by ten, General Board Members and two Student Board Members. NIEA General Board of Directors serve a three-year term and must remain members in good standing for the duration of their three-year term of office. NIEA Student Board Members serve a two-year (staggered) term and must remain members in good standing and meet the definition of student membership criteria as outlined in the Constitution for the duration of the term.
For the 2017 Board of Directors election, there will be four (4) vacancies—three (3) General Board Members and one (1) Student Board Member.
Major Board of Directors Responsibilities
Meetings and Commitments of NIEA Board Members
Board members are required to:
- Participate in regularly scheduled monthly Board meetings.
- Serve on at least 2 standing committees and attend monthly committee meetings.
- Travel to attend special events or meetings, e.g. Legislative Summit, Annual Convention, as they are determined.
- Make a financial contribution and seek out other ways to ensure the fiscal stability of the organization.
General Expectations of NIEA Board Members
- Active engagement in Board business, i.e. participate in all Board meetings and in committee work.
- Knowledge of the organization’s mission, purpose, goals, policies, programs and services, strengths, and needs.
- Understand and uphold the policies and procedures of NIEA.
- Help communicate and positively promote NIEA’s mission and programs to the community.
- Gain familiarity with NIEA finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Meaningfully contribute to NIEA’s fundraising efforts.
- Assist NIEA with creating sponsorship and partnership opportunities.
Board of Directors Election Rules
- Election of Board of Directors will be held on-site at the NIEA Convention. Election procedures will be in accordance with election procedures established and published by the NIEA Board of Directors. Election of BOD will be by vote of eligible members of NIEA. Each voting member shall be entitled to one vote; proxy votes shall not be allowed.
- On-site elections will be conducted onsite at the designated voting area.
- Voting members of NIEA are entitled to one vote only.
Voting by Absentee Ballot | Due Sep 14, 2016
- Individuals who have paid their 2017 membership may request absentee ballots if they are unable to attend the 2017 Convention.
- Absentee ballots must be submitted by September 14, 2017 (21 calendar days prior to the first day of the NIEA Convention).
- Please e-mail the NIEA office to request an absentee ballot at NIEA@niea.org.
- The process of tabulating the official votes for Board of Directors candidates will adhere to Article IV of the NIEA Constitution, and all votes will be tabulated on-site by the NIEA Board Elections Committee and/or its designates.
- The candidates with the highest number of votes will be the new Board Directors.
- Election results will be announced at the Third General Assembly.
Election Challenge Procedure
- If there is a challenge to the election results, it must be filed with the current NIEA President or the NIEA Executive Director by 12:00 pm on Saturday, October 7, 2017. In the event of an election challenge, the NIEA Board of Directors will convene a meeting to address any challenges.
Contact the NIEA Office with any questions at (202) 544-7290 or NIEA@niea.org.