Professional Learning Opportunities
NIEA will offer a wide variety of professional development opportunities through our annual convention, train the trainer modules, and more comprehensive school wide training events.
Professional Development Opportunities at NIEA Convention
NIEA is offering attendees to earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) at the 2019 NIEA Convention through our partnership with the Institute of American Indian Arts. Those who choose to earn credits will need will be able to purchase CEUs while registering for Convention.
To register for Convention, please click here.
What sessions count for credit?
Pre-Convention education events, such as workshops and professional development courses, are considered part of Convention for continuing education purposes, and you claim credit for them in the same way you claim for other Convention workshop sessions.
You may additionally receive CEU’s for NIEA’s Indigenous Empowerment and Resilience Project (blanket exercise) on Wedensday, October 9, 2019, from 1-5pm in the Exhibit Hall. You must be registered for this event to participate.
Activities that do not carry CEU credit include:
- Opening General Session
- Evening Gala and Awards Ceremony
- Cultural Night or Powwow
- Focus Forums
- Regional Caucuses
How are my CE credits calculated?
The number of credits you earn is determined by the duration of the educational sessions you attend, 1 CEU = 10 contact hours and 2 CEU = 20 contact hours
You must attend sessions in full in order to claim credit for them. You will not be allowed to claim credit for two sessions that overlap in time according to the program.
The time equivalents of each session type are:
- 75 minute workshops: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 90 minute presidential sessions: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Pre-Convention events: Varies depending on event time
1 CEU = $35
2 CEU = $70
In order to receive credit, participants must attend two or more full days of the convention (or the equivalent number of conference sessions). At least 10 hours of attendance at the convention sessions is required per credit. You are responsible for tracking your own hours of attendance and documenting the hours as defined in Assignment #1.
Write a critical reflection of each workshop/seminar/course. For each please:
- Include the title of the session, date, time spent in the session (total hours), and presenter information.
- Describe the content of the session and how the session impacted your understanding of the topics presented.
- Critical reflections must be typed. For each workshop, you should write two to three paragraphs. The final document for Assignment #1 should be two to three pages, depending on the number of sessions attended.
Please click here for the full assignment and description.
For more information, please contact Kurrinn Abrams, NIEA Education Specialist, email@example.com, 202-847-0034