To view the full Resolutions Procedure, please click here.
NIEA’s policy priorities and advocacy work are developed and guided by resolutions drafted and passed by our membership. Resolutions cover a wide spectrum of topics related to Native education and serve as a key resource in communicating membership priorities to policy makers.
Members shape the work and goals of NIEA by submitting Non-Emergency Resolutions 60 days in advance of NIEA’s Annual Convention. NIEA members may also submit Emergency Resolutions for issues that require immediate action on-site at the Annual Convention. Both Emergency and Non-Emergency Resolutions should deepen NIEA’s purpose and reflect the membership’s best interests. Resolutions that do not meet the qualifications below will be referred to the NIEA Board of Directors for consideration.
Non-Emergency Resolutions must fulfill the following criteria:
- Address a single issue that impacts Native students across the country.
- Include provisions that further NIEA’s mission to better support culture-based educational opportunities for Native students throughout the United States.
The deadline to submit Non-Emergency Resolutions for consideration at the 2019 Annual Convention is August 9, 2019. To view or use NIEA’s Resolution template, please click here.
Resolutions should be submitted to NIEA directly at NIEA@niea.org.
Emergency Resolutions must meet the following qualifications:
- Address a single issue outside of existing NIEA goals that impacts Native students nationally.
- Require NIEA to take action within two weeks of the last day of the Convention, October 12, 2019.
Emergency Resolutions must be submitted in writing to the Resolution Committee at least 24 hours before the start of the last general assembly in which NIEA will conduct business (October 11, 2019). Resolutions that have not been submitted to the Resolutions Committee in writing and that do not follow the above outlined process WILL NOT be considered during the Convention.
All resolutions submitted for consideration during the Annual Convention should correlate with the following general themes, which align with NIEA’s work to strategically further improved educational opportunities for Native students:
- Advocating for Investment in Native Education
- Building Capacity for Native Control of Native Education
- Putting First Kids First in Native Education
- Promoting Professional Excellence for Native Teachers
- Supporting Native Language and Culturally-Relevant Education
- Advancing Cradle to Career Educational Opportunities
- Promoting Native Student Achievement and Success
- Promoting Progress through Organizational Development
VOTING ON RESOLUTIONS
Under the by-laws enacted in 2018, non-emergency resolutions must be submitted by a member in good standing at least 60 days prior to the beginning of the Annual Convention. Members will vote for non-emergency resolutions via ballots.
Emergency resolutions must be submitted by a member in good standing at least 24 hours before the last General Assembly. Both emergency and non-emergency resolutions will be reviewed by the NIEA Board’s Resolution Committee prior to membership consideration. Emergency resolutions will be provided to membership voting either via ballot or during a live vote during the last General Assembly.
2019 NON-EMERGENCY RESOLUTIONS
The following resolutions have been submitted by NIEA membership for consideration during the 2019 NIEA Convention and Trade Show in Minneapolis, MN:
- 2019-01 – In Support of Tribal Nations that Pursue the Development of a State Education Agency
- 2019-02 – In Support of Tribal–State Data Sharing Partnerships and Cooperative Agreements
- 2019-03 – In Support of State Laws and Tribal Compacts that Allow Native Students to Wear Items of Cultural Significance
- 2019-04 – Expanding Service Payback Opportunities for the Indian Education Professional Development Grants Program
- 2019-05 – Expanding Federal Resources and Funding for Native Students with Disabilities
- 2019-06 – Improving Federal Technical Assistance to Support Native Education
- 2019-07 – In Support of Indian Education School Construction Funding Increases and Innovation
- 2019-08 – In Support of a Complete and Accurate 2020 Census Count in Native Communities